Instructor Led – Safe MEWP (Mobile Elevated Work Platform) Operation
The Safe MEWP (Mobile Elevated Work Platform) Operation course is aimed at any person operating or working with a Mobile Elevated Work Platform (MEWP). The safe use of a MEWP requires training and assessment before it can be undertaken unsupervised. MEWP operations present vehicular risk as well as risks associated with working at height. This course details the scenarios where a MEWP should be used, how they should be safely operated and controlled, and also some of the hazards that can arise from their operation, such as dropped objects and falls from height. In addition to these topics, health and safety and relevant legislation will be covered in order to ensure that learners possess the sufficient theoretical knowledge to operate a MEWP with minimal risk to well-being.
The material covered in the Safe MEWP (Mobile Elevated Work Platform) Operation course is instructor led, including interactive classroom activities.
Safe MEWP (Mobile Elevated Work Platform) Operation
Training Course Objective
This course is aimed at any person operating or working with a Mobile Elevated Work Platform (MEWP). The safe use of a MEWP requires training and assessment before it can be done unsupervised. Not only is the vehicular element a risk, but the fact that it is used to facilitate working at height adds an increased risk of injury.
The material covered in the Safe MEWP (Mobile Elevated Work Platform) Operation course is instructor led, including interactive classroom activities. Course topics and activities include:
- Pre-use checks: Identifying any potential problems with the MEWP prior to operation in order to mitigate any risks. This includes the identification of malfunctioning or damaged parts.
- Stability issues: Being aware of relevant loads MEWPs can carry and how to safely utilise their abilities.
- LOLER and PUWER regulations: These regulations place duties on people and companies who own, operate or have control over work/lifting equipment. It is vitally important to understand their relevance and how the legislation affects you.
- Operations guide: An overview of the correct way to operate a MEWP which includes precisely planning the tasks and the correct lifting procedures.
- Health and safety: MEWPs and other lifting vehicles are involved in a quarter of all workplace transport incidents (www.hse.gov.uk) and because of that, strict safety regulations are in place regarding their operation. This course outlines these with particular focus on the protection of those operating the MEWP, those working nearby, and pedestrians.
Upon completion of the classroom element of this course the learner will possess the necessary theoretical knowledge required to operate a MEWP safely.
This classroom course has a duration of one day. This knowledge can then be expanded upon by further practical training and experience which can be delivered as a follow-up to this course on customer site, lasting one to four days depending upon each customer’s requirements.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
This classroom course can be supplemented with practical teaching conducted in the workplace.